Thursday, August 27, 2009

Yank Sing - Dim Sum

We have a group of friends at work that is kind of our birthday lunch group and on Tuesday, we celebrated Mia’s birthday today at Yank Sing.

I’ve only been introduced to dim sum since I moved to San Francisco, and as things go, I think its been a grand place to be introduced to the wonders of dim sum. Yank Sing is probably my second favorite dim sum place, the food is excellent, but its second because its quite pricey. My all time favorite place is Ton Kiang in the Richmond District (On Geary between 22nd and 23rd).
At Yank Sing, as soon as we sat down, they started bringing all sorts of dumplings to the table. And of course, they have a good char siu bao, which is always a must for me (even though I just had some on Saturday night). My favorite dish at Yank Sing is their Shanghai dumplings; pork, mixed with scallion and ginger wrapped and steamed in broth. These little bundles of joy explode with flavor and juices in your mouth. Of course since Ruby was with us, we had a couple of orders of her favorite, ha gua, the shrimp dumplings, which had great flavor. The Peking duck was excellent, the skin was nice and crispy and the buns were sweet and soft. Their potstickers were only okay for me. The skin was perfectly cooked, steamed yet at least one side was nicely browned, but I thought the flavor was a little bland. There were many other dishes at out table that others really enjoyed but I just didn’t have any room to try, pork siu mai, some chicken with chili peppers, stuffed mushrooms, deep fried taro. Its hard to steer away from my favorites to try new items. Of course we ended our meal with their mango pudding and fried sesame balls. I would be very disappointed with any dim sum meal if it didn't end with fried sesame balls with its sticky rice cake and sweet bean insides.

Trying to work after this lunch is a challenge!

Shanghai dumplings, Peking duck : 10/10
Ha gau, sesame balls: 9/10
Char siu bao: 8/10
Potstickers: 6/10
Service: 7/10

No comments: