Monday, January 12, 2009

Family and a ME day

I was determined to get out of the house a little bit this weekend, especially since it was such a beautiful weekend. The temperature was in the mid to high 60s, quite balmy for mid-January in San Francisco.

On Saturday, I visited my brother and his family and we went to watch my niece’s basketball game. While their team did not fare so well in the game, my niece is getting really good! And I don’t think I am just a doting aunty when I say I think she’s one of the best ball handlers on the team.

After the game we went to dinner at a Chinese restaurant in Cupertino called Hong Fu.
I really enjoyed our meal. We had their house special fried rice, which was made with chicken, char siu, and shrimp. My brother and I did not agree on whether we liked it or not. I loved it, partially because of the char siu, and my brother didn’t like it, mainly because of the char siu. We also had the beef chow fun, the salt and pepper pork chops and the fried green beans, which everyone agreed were really good. We also had the triple delight in bird’s nest, which was made with shrimp, scallops and chicken, while my brother really enjoyed it, the rest of us thought it was good, but were not quite as excited about it.

On Sunday, it was a me day. I slept in, then made myself a nice breakfast with Peet’s Italian roast coffee, thick cut bacon, eggs fried over medium, and a whole wheat English muffin with guava jelly. All I can say is YUM!

After my weekly errands, I went for a walk / jog on Ocean Beach. It was such a beautiful day and there were a lot of people and dogs on the beach, including a really adorable pug. There were lots of surfer’s out too…what can I say, it was a beautiful day out.

Then I came home and made a wonderful dinner consisting of a creamy tomato soup, a garden salad and a bacon cheddar chive scone. The creamy tomato soup recipe I used from Cook’s Illustrated didn’t call for actual cream, but I added some for richness. What can I say about the scones, but as Joey from Friends would say…”What’s there not to like…” bacon, good…cheese, good…butter, good! That recipe came from King Arthur Flour, and I think it will be a great dish for the next brunch with The Group.

No comments: