Monday, February 2, 2009

Vampires

I’ve been a bit obsessed lately. A good friend sent me a couple of books for Christmas. She sent me the first two Twilight books by Stephanie Meyers, Twilight and New Moon. I became engrossed in the teen vampire romance story of Bella, Edward and Jacob. As I was completing those two books, I ordered the following two books, Eclipse and Breaking Dawn. A friend and I were trying to debate what the draw of these books are, yet were unable to pinpoint it, beyond Stephanie’s Meyer’s ability to tell an enthralling tale. The series is ridden with painful teen angst, at least the first 3 books are. And the relationship of the romantic leads seems way too co-dependant, yet we are drawn into the story telling. In fact, about all my free time in the last two weeks was spent with my head buried in these books. As a finale, I went to see Twilight, the movie, which fortunately was still playing at the Metreon. Otherwise, I would have had to sadly await the March 21, 2009 release of the DVD.

To continue the vampire theme, Rosalie (my vampire-enthralled friend) and I went to see Underworld; Rise of the Lycan on opening weekend. It was entertaining and I had been looking forward to the back story of Lucian and Victor’s daughter. I enjoyed the movie for what it was, an a** kicking vampire versus werewolf movie. Even though it wasn’t the same without Kate Beckinsale, My only complaint was that I was a little disappointed that they didn’t touch on the story behind Kraven and Lucian’s arrangement that was revealed in the original Underworld movie.

No comments: